Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a diagnosis that is being given more and more often given to school age children. As the school session gets started parents and teachers are on alert for these behaviors. Back to school time is a common time for kids to get diagnosed with ADD and ADHD. For many kids going back to school means more rules, reduced play and free time. There is a lot of concern that our school-age children are being over diagnosed with these “disorders” that are actually normal behaviors for children. Some parents are urged to give their children drugs such as Ritalin, Adderall, Strattera and many more. Many parents are resistant to giving their kids these drugs.
Some natural options to handle ADD and ADHD:
- Talk to your child’s doctors, teachers, and the school system to see if they will work with you.
- Reduce sugar: Sugar is a stimulant that is highly addictive. It gives children a huge rush of energy after sugar is eaten. This rush is followed by a crash that shows up as moodiness and crankiness and more sugar cravings.
- More pretend and imaginary play time: This play time is important for children of all ages. This means time out of organized sports and academics. It allows their brain to work better.
- Reduce and eliminate screen time: Limit the amount of smartphone, tv and computer time. Extended periods of screen time reduce a child’s impulse control and also reduce imagination, creativity, intelligence and can create moodiness.
- Chiropractic adjustments: If the message from the brain to the rest of the body is not working properly this can show up as ADD and ADHD. Chiropractic adjustments allow the nervous system to flow optimally and for the messages to move from the brain to the rest of the body with ease.
- Nutrition Response Testing: This specialized testing identifies specific issues in the child’s brain and other organ systems that aren’t functioning at their best and can contribute to ADD and ADHD symptoms.
Please call the office today for more specific help and advice if you are looking for natural alternatives for ADD and ADHD.